Job Vacancy – Marketing Manager
Company: Human Race
Position: Marketing Manager
Location: Chessington, Surrey & Remote
Contract Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: On Request
Human Race is a leading mass participation sports event business delivering a diverse range of events in running, triathlon, and cycling. The company is part of ASO, one of the world’s largest sports events organisers, including notably the Tour de France and participation events L’Etape du Tour and the Paris Marathon.
We have created an exciting new role that reports directly to the Head of Marketing. The purpose is to lead the marketing campaigns for two of our most prestigious running events, the Therme Manchester Marathon (annually each Spring) and Manchester Half (annually each autumn). The role encompasses a range of marketing skills, with a focus on also leading on paid marketing campaigns across a range of events.
Human Race is a fast-paced, fun place to work with a great team atmosphere. It’s a sociable office of like-minded people with shared goals, values and interests who take great pride in the events we deliver – whether it’s a triathlon we’ve run for 30 years or a major event in central London.
The role is partially office based, and part remote. The role will require being comfortable working in both environments and attending a number of external meetings, usually in London or Manchester.
Great extra benefits you get at Human Race (when the office is open, and the COVID-19 Situation allows)
- Wednesday Sports club, from 5-a-side football to board games, we’ve done it all, and everyone is encouraged to get involved.
- Friday beer trolley – kick off your weekend with a drink at the office
- Summer hours – during non-event weeks in the summer we finish up on a Friday lunch time (if you’ve finished your work)
- Free entry for you into any of our events – including ASO events in Europe
- 5x free entries for friends and family – with discounted prices after that.
- Regular Social events including a Summer Party, Christmas Party, as well as unscheduled but regular monthly events
- Cycle to work scheme – we love to ride!
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Human Race marketing team is responsible for delivering the commercial strategy and marketing activation for around 10 events per year in the sports of cycling, triathlon and running. The Marketing Manager, will be responsible for leading the marketing strategy and delivery of activity for two of our largest running events, contributing significantly towards the development of the Therme Manchester Marathon & Manchester Half, as well as offering guidance and support to the rest of the portfolio.
The main aim of the role is to drive registrations (ticket sales) into the event, raise awareness in the public consciousness, and help our key partners achieve their goals (such as charity fundraising).
The role will involve a lot of variety, and whilst there will be support from across the commercial and marketing team, the Marketing Manager will be responsible for managing their own workload and hitting key deadlines.
Creating, overseeing, delivering marketing campaigns for our two Manchester running events. This includes but is not limited to:
- Creating annual marketing plans that will perform against agreed targets and KPIs
- Reporting on the performance of the campaign at regular intervals, and suggesting improvements as required
- Work alongside the team to create content plans that will support the overall campaign and longer-term goals. This includes PR, community schemes, and social media
- Work with the relevant Event Director and other department leads to help create the best possible event experience for our participants
- Develop and nurture key stakeholder relationships, for example with local councils and organisations
- Ensure that sustainability and Human Race’s CARE programme is at the heart of all key decisions
- Seek out and generate new contra-marketing and media partnerships with relevant businesses and other bodies
- Work alongside the events sponsors and their marketing teams to deliver joint marketing activities
- Attend events as the lead Human Race commercial representative and to carry out relevant duties within that event. This includes press liaison, celebrity management, social media activation, and capturing content
- Manage fulfilment of Paid media campaigns for all Human Race events.
- Writing copy & briefing design agencies for the Therme Manchester Marathon and Manchester
- Lead on relationship with the Digital Advertising Agency for all Human Race events. Writing concise briefs, monitoring performance, and delivering excellent results
- Effectively delegating tasks to other members of the team when needed
- Budget management, including forecasting income and creating business cases
- With the Head of Marketing
- With the rest of the marketing team, especially the CRM & Digital Marketing Manager, and the Senior PR & Community Executive
- With the wider commercial team, particularly our partnerships team
- With our digital marketing agency
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A creative thinker, confident with expressing opinions and generating new ideas
- A commercial mind, with a focus on driving revenue
- Strong networking skills
- Personable and passionate
- Very good project and time management skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in meetings and in writing
- Be able to write copy in different tones of voice appropriate to the relevant audience
- Ideally educated to degree standard
- Previous work experience within a sports environment would be an advantage
- Minimum 3 years marketing and communications experience either agency or in-house
- Experience of digital marketing and managing digital campaigns and agencies
- Networking / building relationships having successfully set up partnerships
- Have managed budgets, or elements of a budget
- Passion for, or experience taking part in, running events is desirable
- A love of sport in general and an energetic disposition
- Full clean driving licence would be useful
- Willing and able to work a certain number of weekends
- Semi-regular trips to Manchester for meetings and event preparation. Likely to be between 4-10 times per year (Expenses covered)
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a cover letter/email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 16th February 2022